Records & Information

California Rules of Court provide the public with reasonable access to court records for viewing and copying. Court records are presumed to be open unless they are considered confidential by statute or are sealed by a judge. Access to confidential cases is limited to parties of that case. Government-issued photo identification must be shown.

Basic case information can be found using the court's Online Case Index. The public may view and obtain copies of the following case types:

  • Criminal
  • Civil
  • Domestic / Family Law   (Divorce, Child Custody, Legal Separation, and Domestic Violence)
  • Mental Health   (Civil and Criminal)
  • Minor Offenses   (Traffic and Infractions)
  • Paternity - Judgement only for non-parties   (The parties and attorneys of record may obtain copies of court minutes and selected court documents by appearing at the Hall of Justice In-Person with photo identification. The records will not be mailed.)
  • Probate
  • Small Claims

Before You Begin - There are a Few Things to be Aware Of

Juvenile Court Files

  • All Juvenile Court records are confidential. The minor, his or her parents or legal guardian(s), and attorneys of record may obtain copies of court minutes and selected court documents in person at the Hall of Justice with photo identification. The records will not be mailed.
  • Aside from parties or agencies granted access as provided by law, other individuals must file a Petition For Disclosure of Juvenile Court Records. JC Form # JV-570. The completed form may be presented in person or by mail but must contain an original signature. If the petition is granted, viewing and/or obtaining copies may be done only by appearing in person with proper photo identification. Copies of records will not be mailed.

Sealed Records

Court proceedings are a matter of public record. However, the court has the power to seal court records. When a judge seals a record, the public is prevented from viewing specified files or documents without first obtaining a court order.

Destroyed Files/File Purging

Pursuant to Government Code Section 68152, we routinely purge court records.

How to View a Court File

The public may request and view a file by bringing a filled out Research and Copy Request Form along with a valid driver's license or other valid photo I.D. to the Hall of Justice.

All files must be viewed within the clerk's office during normal office hours. Files cannot be removed from the court.

Any person who willfully removes, destroys, or alters any court record is subject to the penalties imposed by Government Code sections 6200 or 6201.

Requesting Copies of a Court Document or a Court File

Copies May be Requested:

  • Online using the electronic Research and Copy Request form – click here.
  • In-person at the Hall of Justice, 2610 Riverside Drive, Susanville, CA 96130 – during office hours.
  • By mailing the Research and Copy Request Form to Lassen Superior Court, 2610 Riverside Drive, Susanville, CA 96130.
    • You must include a self-addressed stamped envelope to have your copies sent to you by mail.
  • By dropping a completed Research and Copy Request Form in the lobby drop-box at the Hall of Justice.

NOTE: Requests on behalf of government agencies need to be submitted to the court on agency letterhead.

Completed requests will be held for pickup, mailed to you in the self-addressed stamped envelope you provide, or emailed to you at the email address you provide (certified copies cannot be emailed).

Payment Methods for Research and Copy Requests

  • Cash
  • Check or Money Order
  • Credit Card   –   A One-Time Credit Card Payment Authorization can be completed on page 3 of the Research and Copy Request Form.

Requesting Judicial Administrative Records

California Rules of Court specify conditions under which the public may be granted access to judicial administrative records. These types of records are administrative in nature and do not include records related to cases or court proceedings.

Effective January 1, 2010, Rule 10.500 of the California Rules of Court sets forth comprehensive public access provisions applicable to judicial administrative records maintained by the state trial and appellate courts, and the Judicial Council.

Requests for identifiable judicial administrative records may be submitted using the required form Request for Judicial Administrative Records. Forms may be submitted by U.S. Mail or e-mail. Records may be subject to payment of a fee.

To request judicial administrative records maintained by the appellate courts, or the Judicial Council, please review the Judicial Council website.

Please note: The court does not confirm personal information about a party's identity over the phone or by email unless there is a Court business need to do so to assist a party, a party's attorney, a party's designee, or a justice partner agency. Personal information includes details such as date of birth, last four digits of a Social Security Number, address, or driver's license number. Individuals seeking personal information about a party may visit the courthouse to request information or submit a Research and Copy Request Form

Click here to submit an electronic Research and Copy Request

Superior Court of California, County of Lassen