Civil cases involve claims by one party or individual against another for wrongs committed or damages done.


What is a Civil Case?

A civil case is a lawsuit in which one party sues another party. A civil case can be filed by a party to:

  1. Enforce a contract or agreement
  2. Collect damages to their person or property
  3. Recover money or property
  4. Protect a civil right

Civil matters include small claims, civil matters, conservatorships, probate, family law, adoptions, and juvenile compromises.

What is the difference between Limited and Unlimited Civil Cases?

Generally, civil lawsuits are divided into three categories which is based on the amount of money involved in the lawsuit. An example of cases with are generally excluded from this are unlawful detainer, juvenile, civil harassment, probate and family matters. When the dollar amount is under $7,500 it is usually referred to as a Small Claims case. When the dollar about is less than or equal to $25,000 it is referred to a limited jurisdiction civil case. When the dollar amount exceeds $25,000 it is referred to as an unlimited jurisdiction civil case.

Where can I get help with my civil case?

The court staff is available to provide assistance. Please see contact our Self-Help center for more information.

How do I file documents?

You will need the appropiate number of document copies when filing with the clerk. Please make sure all documents are signed, dated, organized and stapled. The clerk cannot accept copies which are not organized and stapled. Please check the Statewide Civil Fee Schedule  to be sure you have included the proper filing fees or an Application for Waiver of Court Fees and Costs.

Can I fax documents for filing?

Yes, you can file documents via fax, please see the Fax Filing page for information and instructions.

What if I cannot afford to pay the filing fee?

Fee Waivers are available for qualifying individuals. Please review the Information Sheet on Waiver of Court Fees and Costs for eligibility guidelines.

Does the court provide interpreters?

Please see the Interpreter Services page for more information on language assistance.

Can I get copies from a case file?

Yes, you can request copies through the clerk's office, either online, in person, or by mail. For more information and to submit a request online, visit the Records & Information page.

When is the Law and Motion calendar heard?

The law and motion calendar is generally heard each Monday at 1:30 p.m. in Department 1, which is located at 2610 Riverside Drive. See Calendars and Directions for additional information.

What if I cannot appear in person?

1. A party may appear by ZOOM at any hearing, conference, or proceeding if the court determines that a ZOOM appearance is appropiate. See the Remote Appearance page for additional information.
2. You can make arrangements through Court Call at 1-888-88COURT (1-888-882-6878) to make an appearance by phone.

Superior Court of California, County of Lassen