Jon Nakanishi, Facilitator




Location and Phone Number:

Superior Court, State of California

County of Lassen

Access to Justice Center

145 South Lassen Street

Susanville, CA 96130




The Family Law Facilitator is a free service provided to self-represented litigants in the community by the Lassen County Superior Court.    Services are provided at no charge.  Participants are responsible for all court filing fees.


How does the Family Law Facilitator’s Office Work?


Office visits are scheduled by appointment.  Priorities are given to parties referred by the court.   Appointment hours are Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Walk-Ins are welcome Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. on a first come, first serve basis. 


The Family Law Facilitator’s Office is staffed by an attorney who is skilled and trained to analyze the issues from the facts presented by the party(ies) and explain to the party(ies) the applicable law and available legal and procedural alternatives, options or remedies.


The Family Law Facilitator will not give legal advice or represent you in any court action.


The Family Law Facilitator will not recommend a legal alternative or option for you to take. It is your responsibility to consider the various legal alternatives or options available and for you to make all decisions in regard to your case.  You should consult with a private attorney, if you need assistance in selecting an option, alternative or making a legal decision.


Each party has equal access to the services provided by the Family Law Facilitator’s Office.


What type of assistance can I receive from the Family Law Facilitator?


Ř     Assistance in obtaining, changing, or enforcing child and/or spousal support orders.

Ř     Assistance in the preparation of child and/or spousal support agreements.

Ř     Assistance in providing computerized child and/or spousal support calculations.

Ř     Assistance in providing mediation of child support, spousal support and health care/insurance.


What should I bring with me?


Ř     Income and Expense Information

Ř     Your last three (3) pay check stubs

Ř     Your last income tax return


Resources and Information


If you are paying support through the Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) and you lose your job, or your income is reduced; call, write or go to the DCSS office immediately to make arrangements to have your support payments reduced.  Be sure to include your DCSS Case Number on all correspondence.


You may contact the local DCSS Office at:


Department of Child Support Services

1600 Chestnut Street

Susanville, CA 96130